Council Housing Disrepair Claims

Council Housing Disrepair Claims

Your home is your haven. You should be able to relax in comfort and simply ‘switch off’ after a hard day. If your council house is in a state of disrepair, however, this can have a negative impact on your well-being, mental health and day-to-day life. You may be able to claim compensation if nothing is done about the quality of your dwelling, so don’t hesitate to get in contact today with our expert legal team.

Here at Satchell Moran Solicitors Limited, we understand how frustrating it can be if your landlord refuses to complete the necessary repairs on your home. That’s why we pursue housing disrepair claims on your behalf to ensure landlords abide by the law.

What the Law Says…

Tenants of rented properties, including council house tenants, do not have to put up with housing disrepair. In fact, the law states that landlords must ensure that rented properties are fit for human habitation at the start of a tenancy and that these standards are maintained throughout the period in which the tenant lives at the property.

Under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act (1985), as amended by the Fitness for Human Habitation Act S9Q and S10 of the LTA 1985, it clearly states:

‘Any Social (Council or Housing Association) or private Landlord (Company or Individual) who agrees to a shorthold and Secure Tenancy is obligated by Law to keep your property in a good state of repair. You should be able to enjoy living in your property without the stress and suffering of living in disrepair.’

In most tenancy agreements, repair obligations are clearly listed. Landlords are likely to be responsible for the following:

  • Repairs to the exterior such as gutters, drains and pipes.
  • Repairs to the interior walls and ceilings such as cracking or loose plaster and paintwork.
  • Ensuring that your home is structurally safe to live in.
  • Sinks, baths and sanitary installations.
  • Ensuring that your home is free from damp and mould.
  • No heating, gas pipes and tripping electrics or general electrical wiring issues.

What Should I Do?

Before making a housing disrepair claim, you should:

  • Notify the council about any housing disrepair issues in writing to ensure there is a written record of notice.
  • Keep a clear record of what the housing disrepair issues are at your property, when they arose and when you notified the council – your landlord.
  • Provide access to the council to inspect the property and to carry out repairs. Failure to do so will stand in the way of any housing disrepair claims you make.

Housing Disrepair Claim Experts

When you contact Satchell Moran Solicitors Limited about housing disrepair, you can expect:

  • Access to a dedicated housing disrepair claims team.
  • A strong work ethic and the ability to develop an airtight case.
  • A ‘no win, no fee’ agreement with an After-the-Event insurance policy that covers the cost of any disbursements incurred as your claim is progressed, ensuring that you pay no upfront costs.

Housing Disrepair Claims FAQs

What sort of funding is available for housing disrepair claims?

Conditional Fee Agreements (CFAs), also known as ‘no win, no fee’ agreements can help lower costs and will ensure you avoid upfront charges.

What things are not considered as part of a housing disrepair claim?

Housing disrepair claims do what they say on the tin – cover damage that’s been caused by disrepair only. You won’t be able to bring a claim in the event of deliberate property damage, or a defect which is not caused by disrepair.

What does ‘fitness for habitation’ mean?

In considering whether or not a home is unfit for human habitation, the following will be considered: repair, stability, freedom from damp, internal arrangement, natural lighting, ventilation, water supply, drainage and sanitary conveniences, facilities for preparation and cooking of food and for the disposal of wastewater.

Contact us today for access to housing disrepair claim lawyers.


Your Full Name
Field is required!
Field is required!
Your Email Address
Field is required!
Field is required!
Your Phone Number
Field is required!
Field is required!
Ask us any questions...
Field is required!
Field is required!



I will start by, firstly, recommending Satchell Moran to anybody for any legal representation before they go to anyone else.

If they cannot help you, they will refer you to people who can.

All those at Satchell Moran are very knowledgeable, easy going, and most of all, honest about their work. I can assure you that they will endevour to get the best possible outcome for you in relation to any legal issue you have.

Keep up the good work. Many thanks.

- Alan Wardle

Make an Enquiry Today
Copyright © 2019 Satchell Moran Solicitors Limited. All Rights Reserved.
Satchell Moran Solicitors Limited, 658 Prescot Road, Old Swan, Liverpool, L13 5XE