As the Law in Housing has expanded over the years, many people who cannot afford to purchase a home of their own have found themselves at the mercy of Landlords who have little or no interest in meeting their obligations.

Satchell Moran Solicitors understand that poor living conditions can have a serious impact on your quality of life. We also understand how frustrating it can be when your Landlord refuses to complete the necessary repairs on your home.

By law, Landlords must ensure that rented properties are fit for human habitation at the start of a tenancy and that these standards are maintained throughout the period in which the tenant lives at the property.

Under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act (1985) as amended by the Fitness for Human Habitation Act S9A and S10 of the LTA 1985:

Any Social (Council or Housing Association) or private Landlord (Company or Individual) who agrees to a shorthold and Secure Tenancy is obligated by Law to keep your property in a good state of repair. You should be able to enjoy living in your property without the stress and suffering of living is disrepair.

If you have complained to your Landlord for 6 months or more, have not prevented your Landlord access to the property and have little or no rent arrears then you could be entitled to claim.

What repairs could your Landlord be responsible for?

  • Repairs to the exterior such as gutters, drains and pipes.
  • Repairs to the interior walls and ceilings such as cracking or loose plaster and paintwork.
  • Ensuring that your home is structurally safe to live in.
  • Sinks, baths and sanitary installations.
  • Ensuring that your home is free from damp and mould.
  • No heating, gas pipes and tripping electrics or general electrical wiring issues.

Every Landlord that rents out a property is required to maintain these standards. They are responsible for the cost of repairs and the tenant should not be asked to pay anything towards the repairs. 

Here at Satchell Moran Solicitors, we have a dedicated team dealing with Housing Disrepair claims. We will assist you in taking legal action against your Landlord to carry out the required works in the property and seek compensation for the stress and inconvenience caused to you. 

You may also be eligible to claim for compensation if the property is affecting the health of you and your family or if you have evidence of damage to personal belongings. We act on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis with an After-the-Event insurance policy that covers the cost of any disbursements incurred as your claim is progressed, ensuring that you pay no upfront costs.

If you believe you have a claim or require some free legal advice regarding repairs in your property, please contact a member of our Housing Disrepair Department on 0151 268 8282 or email us at hdr@satchellmoransolicitors.com


Your Full Name
Field is required!
Field is required!
Your Email Address
Field is required!
Field is required!
Your Phone Number
Field is required!
Field is required!
Ask us any questions...
Field is required!
Field is required!



I will start by, firstly, recommending Satchell Moran to anybody for any legal representation before they go to anyone else.

If they cannot help you, they will refer you to people who can.

All those at Satchell Moran are very knowledgeable, easy going, and most of all, honest about their work. I can assure you that they will endevour to get the best possible outcome for you in relation to any legal issue you have.

Keep up the good work. Many thanks.

- Alan Wardle

Make an Enquiry Today
Copyright © 2019 Satchell Moran Solicitors Limited. All Rights Reserved.
Satchell Moran Solicitors Limited, 658 Prescot Road, Old Swan, Liverpool, L13 5XE